Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dylan v. Mariah



Who is a better singer? Bob Dylan or Mariah Carey. Now the answer may seem obvious to you, but please think to yourselves, what makes a great singer? It's not just about who can hit a high C, what truly makes a great singer is his or her ability to make the listener feel exactly what the song is trying to portray. To give the song character, a life of its own.
Now if I had to pick anybody in the world to hit a high C, it would be Mariah. On top of that she has eighteen #1 singles, the most for a solo artist in the U.S. and has five Grammys under her belt. But despite all of her success and talent, Mariah is not necessarily who I want standing behind the microphone. Now I admit, I have listened to her music sparingly, but when I have heard it I only hear a voice. She sounds like a producer told her to sing this way. No edge, no real distinctiveness.
Now Dylan certainly can't hit the high C, and according to some his Achilles Heel is his voice. And maybe I'm biased being somewhat of a Dylan worshiper. But I think few can bring what Dylan brings to the microphone. Whether he his howling "HOW DOES IT FEEL!!!" in "Like A Rolling Stone," or preaching in "Gotta Serve Somebody," or reflecting in "One Too Many Mornings," Dylan forces the listener to feel love, hate, hope, disappointment, and everything else that one experiences in life.
Now I don't mean to put Mariah down, she could do things with her voice that appear impossible. But I'll take Dylan everyday of the week.

1 comment:

Vic said...

i take dylan too. to me both voices are so indicative of their times.
mariah's voice, as you mentioned, is very polished by a producer while dylan's grainy voice makes authentic folk music. it can rattle away or coo like a sing a-long (i'm thinking of mr. tambourine man).. you can just imagine sitting around a bonfire at night with a group of friends listening to dylan at 17, playing his soul out.